Flood Insurance

National Flood Insurance Program

Camden County participates in the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP). This allows local insurance agents to sell flood insurance policies separate from regular property insurance, and at federally subsidized rates. The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has more information on their website about how to buy flood insurance and reviews why you need it.

Requirements & Coverage

If you own a structure in the Special Flood Hazard Area (SFHA) and your loan is federally backed, it is mandatory that you obtain flood insurance.

Flood insurance can cover the structure alone or a combination of structure and contents. Renters can purchase content coverage even if the owner does not have structural coverage.

A new policy is available that assists in bringing a non-compliant structure up to NFIP standards if the building is substantially damaged or repetitively flooded. Flood insurance is also available for structures outside the 100 year floodplain (Zone X).

Waiting Period

There is normally a 30-day waiting period before flood insurance goes into effect, so it is essential to plan ahead.