The Camden County Board of Commissioners is seeking applicants to fill one (1) vacancy on the Camden County Board of Family and Children Services (DFCS).
The Board of Family and Children Services play a vital role in helping to make the Division of Family and Children Services’ programs more meaningful to the families and children they are designed to serve. Each Board Member is considered a link between the County Department of Family and Children Services and the local community. Board Members, with the help of agency staff, acquire general knowledge of Division programs and interpret the objectives of the programs to local citizens. Each Board Member should also address attitudes and perceptions of the community toward programs by making recommendations to the County Director. Board Members are also expected to assist in interpreting human service programs to local officials in order to gain support, secure additional funding for specific needs beyond state appropriations, and to set standards for the expenditure of county funds. Each member is encouraged to look beyond the services of Family and Children Services and assist in collaboration and coordination with other agencies.
The Board is an active liaison to the general public whose continuing support is necessary to the success of the overall mission of the Division. The role of the County Board carries a combination of advocacy, resource development, political activism, staff relations, customer service and administrative functions; all of which are important to the Division and County Department.
Elected officials of the State, or any political subdivision of the state (county or city, etc.) may not be appointed to the County Board, O.C.G.A Section 49-3-2 (a). Public assistance recipients may not be appointed to the county board since the appointment of a public assistance recipient would create an illegal conflict of interest. Board Members serve without compensation except for the per diem rate established by the Department of Human Resources and reimbursement for travel and other expenses incurred in the performance of their official duties. The term of office for members is five (5) years, beginning on July 1, and are staggered so that one term expires each year.
Qualifications for applicants include the following:
- Must reside in Camden County.
- Must not have any immediate family members on the staff of the local DFCS office.
- Must not hold an elected office of the State or any political subdivision of the state (county or city, etc.).
- Must not be a recipient of public assistance.
- Ability to actively participate in the efforts of the board, have a commitment to human service programs and exercise leadership in advocating the agency objectives in the community.
- Possess a combination of advocacy, resource development, political activism, staff relations, customer service and administrative functions
- Ability to attend regularly scheduled meetings held every other month, the second Tuesday, 8:30 AM at the DFCS office located at 800 Charles Gilman Jr. Blvd., Kingsland.
Qualified Applicants should submit their intent to serve via the County website, www.camdencountyga.gov, featured on the homepage under Services, Online Forms, Citizen Board Application Form. If you have any questions you may call 576-5651. Positions shall remain open until filled.