The Camden County Board of County Commissioners is seeking applicants to fill two (2) vacancies on the Georgia Department of Behavioral Health and Developmental Disabilities (DBHDD) Regional Advisory Council for Mental Health, Developmental Disabilities, and Addictive Diseases.
The DBHDD Region 5 Advisory Council represents thirty-four (34) counties in the region and assists DBHDD in improving services to individuals with mental illness, developmental disabilities, and addictive diseases within Region 5 by identifying gaps in services, considering strategies for addressing these service gaps, and participating in follow-up efforts to encourage service improvements.
A majority of the appointments to the Region 5 Advisory Council will be individuals with disabilities and/or family members/caregivers of individuals with mental illness, developmental disabilities, and/or addictive diseases. Appointments to this board should be reflective of the cultural and social characteristics of the county population. The members are business and civic leaders with an interest in mental health, developmental disabilities, and substance use disorders; individuals receiving related services, and family members of individuals receiving such services.
Qualifications for applicants include the following:
- Must reside in Camden County;
- Ability to serve a term of three (3) years with option to serve one (1) additional term;
- Ability to actively participate in the efforts of the Board; and
- Ability to attend regularly scheduled bi-monthly meetings.
Meetings are currently held virtually, but it is anticipated that in-person meetings will resume shortly. The location of the in-person meetings is still to be determined.
A person shall not be eligible to be appointed to serve on the Region 5 Advisory Council if they are:
- a member of a Community Service Board which serves that region;
- an employee or board member of a private or public entity which contracts with the Georgia Department of Behavioral Health and Developmental Disabilities, the Department of Human Services, or the Department of Public Health to provide health, mental health, and/or addictive disease services within the region;
- an employee or board member of the Department of Behavioral Health and Developmental Disabilities, the Department of Human Services, or the Department of Public Health; or
- have a spouse, parent, child, or sibling who is a member of the DBHDD Region 5 Advisory Council.
Counties in Region Five include Appling, Atkinson, Bacon, Bleckley, Brantley, Bryan, Bulloch, Camden, Candler, Charlton, Chatham, Clinch, Coffee, Dodge, Effingham, Evans, Glynn, Jeff Davis, Johnson, Laurens, Liberty, Long, McIntosh, Montgomery, Pierce, Pulaski, Tattnall, Telfair, Toombs, Treutlen, Ware, Wayne, Wheeler and Wilcox.
Qualified Applicants should submit their intent to serve via the County website, www.camdencountyga.gov, featured on the homepage under Services, Online Forms, Citizen Board Application Form. If you have any questions you may call 912-576-5651. You can learn more about the Region 5 Advisory Council by visiting www.dbhdd.georgia.gov/region-5. Position shall remain open until filled.