The Camden County Board of Commissioners is seeking applicants to fill two (2) vacancies on the Joint Development Authority (JDA) Board of Directors as County representatives.
In the case of the current vacancies, and according to board by-laws, one appointment shall assume the term of a resigning board member and will expire on December 31, 2020. One appointment will be for a full term, expiring on December 31, 2022.
The JDA is a multi-jurisdictional economic development agency representing all of Camden County, including the three cities of Kingsland, St. Marys, and Woodbine. The JDA was established in 1981 by joint resolution of local governments and in accordance with the Georgia Development Authorities Law. It is a “joint” authority, for it represents multiple jurisdictions. The mission of the JDA is to promote Camden County to expand and diversify the economy and stimulate the creation of quality employment opportunities to provide a better quality of life for citizens.
The JDA is actively involved in business climate research and education, business/industry recruitment and investment, job creation, workforce development/education, community outreach and engagement, and infrastructure/real estate development.
The JDA is governed by a nine-member Board of Directors. Three (3) members are appointed by the Board of County Commissioners and two members are appointed by each of the three City Councils. The JDA Board of Directors establishes policy and direction for the JDA, and serves as liaisons between the Authority and the community and its leaders. The JDA is managed by an Executive Director and staff.
Qualifications for applicants include the following:
- Willing to serve a four (4) year term.
- Must reside in the appointing jurisdiction of Camden County.
- Desire of developing and promoting for the public good, commerce, industry and employment opportunities in the County.
- Have the ability to actively participate in the efforts of the Authority.
- Attend regularly scheduled bi-monthly meetings and special called meetings.
- Directors must attend eight (8) hours of development authority director training within twelve (12) months of appointment. (The cost of this training will be provided by the JDA.)
Qualified Applicants should submit their intent to serve via the County website, www.camdencountyga.gov, featured on the homepage under Services, Online Forms, Citizen Board Application Form. If you have any questions you may call 576-5651. Positions shall remain open until filled.