The Georgia Department of Public Health (DPH) is awaiting confirmation from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) on a presumptive positive case of COVID-19 in neighboring Charlton County.
Earlier today the Southeast Georgia Health System released information about testing for two patients at their Camden Campus for COVID-19. At this time there is a presumptive positive result for one individual and an outstanding test for the second individual.
The overall risk of COVID-19 to the general public remains low, although elderly people and individuals with chronic medical conditions may have increased risk for COVID-19. The best prevention measures for any respiratory virus are:
- Wash your hands often with soap and warm water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
Please use reputable sources for the latest guidance on COVID-19, including the CDC, Georgia DPH, and the Coastal Georgia Health District. Georgia DPH shares COVID-19 guidance at its toll-free number, 1-866-PUB-HLTH (1-866-782-4584), its website or through the Center for Disease Control and Prevention website.